What is Social Media Marketing?
Social Media Marketing makes use of social media sites to raise visibility on the Internet and to promote products and services. Social media sites are useful for building social (and business) networks, and for exchanging ideas and knowledge.Social media networking is part of a trend known as Web 2.0, which refers to changes in the way users and software developers use the Web. It is a more collaborative use of the Web that enhances creativity and knowledge exchange.
Social Media Marketing Techniques
Some examples of social media marketing techniques are:
- Joining relevant online communities or social networking sites to help promote your business.
- Adding RSS feeds to your website (RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication that can be used to easily update content).
- Blogging (where you add content to blogs).
- Creating your own business blog.
Social Media Sites Listed as Effective for Marketing your Business:
Please note that the usefulness of a social media site to your business will depend upon your industry, your target audience, and product or service.
Examples of Different Types of Social Media:
Five Reasons Small Businesses Should Use Social Media to Market Their Businesses
- You can reach a large number of people in a more spontaneous way without paying large advertising fees.
- The use of blogs and social and business networking sites can increase traffic to your website from other social media websites. This in turn may increase your Page Rank, resulting in increased traffic from leading search engines.
- Social media complements other marketing strategies such as a paid advertising campaign.
- You can build credibility by participating in relevant forums and responding to questions.
- Social Media sites have information such as user profile data, which can be used to target a specific set of users for advertising
Using Social Bookmarking:
Social bookmarking refers to saving web links to websites that you want to remember. You can save these bookmarks for yourself or share them with others.There are specific social bookmarking websites where users bookmark many sites and then tag them with many descriptive words. This allows other people to search by those terms to find those pages. Most social bookmark sites encourage users to organize their bookmarks with informal tags. These sites usually include information about the number of users who have bookmarked certain websites. The sites also typically offer web feeds for their lists of bookmarks. If you subscribe to this feed you are updated as to new bookmarks.
Tips for Using Social Bookmarking for Promotion
- Select a social bookmarking site you think is best suited to your target audience.
- If you are submitting content to a social bookmarking site – consider if it will be interesting and useful.
- Tag your website or blog.
- Encourage your website visitors to add your website to their social bookmarks.
- Network with other social bookmarkers and work with each other to promote each other’s sites.
Overview of Internet Marketing Strategies
While social media marketing (or social media optimization) is the focus of this booklet, it is important to consider a range of Internet marketing strategies as described below:
Online Display AdvertisingUse of the Internet as an advertising medium where paid promotional messages appear on other websites and search engine results pages. These promotional messages are paid for by the businesses or are exchanged between websites. For more information see the booklet entitled “Successful Online Display Advertising”.
Type of Internet Marketing Strategy
|Search Engine Optimization||Search engine optimization (SEO) involves designing, writing, and coding a website in a way that helps to improve the volume and quality of traffic to your website from search engines via a high page rank in the natural search results (in contrast to paid advertisements posted with the search engine results). Generally, the earlier a website shows up in the search results, the more users will visit that site. Search Engine Optimization can involve a number of techniques to increase website traffic (e.g. article submissions to other websites that contain your business’s website address, link swaps, etc.). For more information see the booklet entitled “Increasing Traffic to Your Website Through Search Engine Optimization Techniques”.|
|Affiliate Marketing||A business contracts with other individuals or companies (“affiliates”) who market the company’s products for a commission (on sales or leads). Affiliate marketing overlaps with other Internet marketing methods because affiliates can use a variety of marketing strategies. Those methods include SEO, paid search engine marketing, email marketing and display advertising. A common type of affiliate marketing occurs where a Web advertiser or merchant recruits webmasters to place the merchant’s banner ads or buttons on their own Website. Webmasters will receive a referral fee or commission from sales when the customer has clicked the affiliate link.|
|Online Display Advertising||Use of the Internet as an advertising medium where paid promotional messages
appear on other websites and search engine results pages. These promotionalmessages are paid for by the businesses or are exchanged between websites. For more information see the booklet entitled “Successful Online Display Advertising”.