WordPress site reference
Login to your WordPress website
- Open http://sitename/wp-admin in a browser.
- Login with your WordPress login and password. (Note: This is not the same as your SSO/password. Someone with administrator access to the site will need to add you if you do not have a user name and password. You should not use your SSO password for WordPress sites.)
Add a new post
- Click on the Posts item on the left menu and select Add New.
- Fill out the title field.
- Make sure that you are seeing two rows of icons in the content editor panel. If you are only seeing one, click the Toolbar Toggle
- Add content. If you are copying text from Word, use the Paste as Text button to strip out unnecessary formatting.
- The content of the page can be edited using the WYSIWYG Visual editor that appears when you first load the page, or you can switch to Text view using the tab at the top right of this module to view the code.
- If the post is longer than a few paragraphs, click on the Insert Read more tag button where you want the post to break.
- Uncheck the “Allow comments” and “Allow trackbacks and pingbacks” boxes under the Discussion
- Create Hyperlinks by selecting text in the content area and selecting the hyperlink button.
- A dialog box will appear. Fill out the URL field, or click on the settings wheel on the right for more options.
- Add the URL or Search for content that is within your site.
- Select the “open link in a new window/tab” box if it links to a page outside your website.
- Click Add Link when finished.
- Add Images by clicking on the Add Media
- A dialog box will appear. Either drag and drop files onto the window or click Select Files and navigate to the file on your computer/file server.
- A number of options will appear below the image.
- Complete the Title and Alt Text (These are important for accessibility and search engine optimization.)
- To add text beneath the image, complete the Caption
- Choose an Alignment and image Size.
- Select Insert into Post to add the image.
- Using the Categories box, add categories to the story. Categories should be overarching themes that will have multiple posts assigned to each one.
- Using the Tags box, add tags to the story, separated by commas. Tags should be added once, then you can select them in future posts using the link at the bottom of the tags box. Tags should be more specific than categories, and they may be used only once or more frequently.
- When you are finished, go to the Publish module at the top right of the page. Click Preview to view the post in a new tab/window. Check that everything looks correct and make edits if necessary.
- When you are finished editing the post, select Publish to make the post visible on the blog.
- Click on the Pages item on the left menu.
- Select the page you want to edit from the list.
- Edit the text you wish to change within the text box on the page.
- Click Update to save your changes.
Adding a new page
- Roll over the Pages item on the left menu and select Add New.
- Name the page in the title box and make sure thepermalink (beneath) reads how you want it to.
- In the Page Attributes box, select a template. You will most likely be using the Default Template for all of your pages. If the page has a parent (if it is a sub-page to one of your main pages), you can select that in the Parent
- Enter your text in the text box. Follow the instructions in the “Adding a New Post” section for formatting.
- To add an image to the page, click on Set featured image in the Featured Image box on the lower right hand side of the page.
- Select one of the images in the Media Library or select Upload Files to add new images. Be sure to title your picture and add descriptive Alt Text for screen readers.
- Click on Set Featured Image at the bottom of the screen.
- After adding the image, be sure to click Update on your page to save and publish all of your changes.
- Under Discussion at the bottom of the page, make sure the boxes beside Allow comments and Allow trackbacks and pingbacks on this page are unchecked.
- If you do not see the Discussion box at the bottom of the page, select Screen Options at the top of the page and check the Discussion