What is social media optimization?
Social media optimization(SMO) is the technique to promote your product, build a brand on various social channels. That includes video sites like Youtube, Social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Social bookmarking sites like Stumble Upon, Reddit and many more. social media optimization is proper optimization your post for social media website like Digg, stumble upon, reddit, sphinn and 100+ such sites.
Why we need social media optimization(SMO):
Like Search engine optimization, Social media optimization plays an important role in the success of a Website. Specially, now social signals impact SEO (search engine optimization )of your blog, Social media marketing and optimization of your blog or Website has become equally important. Specially for an E-commerce site, Social media optimization is very important, as now people use social recommendation for buying products online. More over, being on Social media will help you to create a brand of your own.
How to start with social media optimization?
Visitors from social media websites like Digg, Stumble upon, Reddit are the people who are in quick search of news and they don’t stay for long. The only way of stopping them and lowering down your bounce rate is by giving them more of what they want. Keep them moving around within website using related articles and internal linking.
Three important factor that will be the basis of social media optimization?
Social media proof articles need to be based on proper research and with proper data. People will not believe without you until unless you are a top class celebrity or blogger like Darren.
Blog or website design plays a major role to lower down your bounce rate and then get more vote on these website. If your blog design is irritating, that will straight away going to be a down vote. The ease of navigation and less advertisement is always preferred by social media crawlers. From my experience webpage with white or light blue background do great then dark background pages.
As mentioned above content is king. The ease of readability plays a major role for the success. Articles with Images, Lists, Data and stats do best with social media website. If you writing along article make sure you break it in proper category so that reader can easily navigate the article. An example is this article. Should I submit article now? If you are an active member if your target social media website then submit your article else best advice will be email any top user from that social media website and ask them to submit. Everyone loves to submit quality stuff.
The Fives rules of SMO
- Create shareable content. This is fundamental to social media marketing, so in Social Media Optimization it’s about determining the content that your audience prefers to share across different social media platforms. In original post, this activity was about encouraging links: the two go together.
- Make sharing easy. This is the embedding of buttons and other widgets to encourage sharing, recommending or bookmarking within your site and blog.Social Media Optimization analyses the best placements, formats and messages to do this.
- Reward engagement. It’s commonplace now to reward “Liking” or “Tweeting” through a promotional or content offer, so this can look at the best offers to do this.
- Proactively share content This covers the process and format for sharing beyond your central hub. This can include syndicating articles to other partners or platforms like Slideshare. Some also create their own widgets for embedding or sharing on other sites (atomization).
- Encourage the “mashup”. Eencouraging folks to take and remix your content, so it becomes user generated content. This activity can effectively be built into campaigns.