Digital Marketing Career
Digital marketing is a term for the marketing of products or services using digital technologies, mainly on the Internet, but also including mobile phones, display advertising, and any other digital medium.
Digital marketing techniques such as search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), content marketing, influencer marketing, content automation, campaign marketing, data-driven marketing and e-commerce marketing, social media marketing, social media optimization, e-mail direct marketing, display advertising, e–books, optical disks and games, are becoming more and more common in our advancing technology. In fact, Digital marketing can extends to non-Internet channels that provide digital media, such as mobile phones (SMS and MMS), callback and on-hold mobile ring tones.
Coimbatore Job Opportunities in Digital Marketing Industry :
- Digital Marketing Agency: There are number of small, mid and large digital marketing agencies, who serve their clients by offering various kinds of digital marketing services across SEO, SEM, and Social Media Marketing etc.If you work in such an agency then you get an opportunity to work with multiple clients and enjoy the variety of work.
- A brand leveraging Digital Marketing: You can also choose to work for a particular brand or an organization, who’s actively leveraging digital marketing for its own growth. Unlike working for a digital marketing agency, where you enjoy variety, you acquire in-depth expertise when you work for a particular organization.
- Digital Marketing Tool/Platform Company: Another opportunity to grow in your career in digital marketing is to work for tool or platform companies such as Google, LinkedIn, Face book. The kind of work and associated learning in these kinds of companies is going to vary a lot and will be quite different compared to working at an agency or a brand. Also, such job opportunities are limited but these kinds of jobs will offer much higher salary.
Job Profiles in Digital Marketing:
- Digital Marketing Executive: At an entry level, you are likely to join an organization as a digital marketing executive (or may be SEO executive, Social Media Marketing executive, Search Engine Marketing executive). You are likely to working under a team lead or manager and perform multiple tasks including research, content development, testing etc.
- Digital Marketing Specialist: After acquiring reasonable experience in a particular domain such as SEO or SEM, you will be promoted to a specialist position such as SEO Expert or SEM Expert or Community Lead or Content Marketing Expert. At this position, while you will report to your manager, you will make lot of decisions independently.
- Digital Marketing Manager or Team Leader: With 2-4 years of experience, you will be working as a Manager or Team Leader, e.g. SEO Manager, SEM Team Lead. At this position, you will be managing a team and will directly contribute to strategic as well as tactical plans for the organization.
- Digital Marketing Strategist/Analyst: In organizations or agencies where there’s strong focus on aspects such as SEO, SEM, Social Media Marketing, there’s a need of skilled professionals for Strategic & Analytics roles. While team leads or managers will continue to head respective teams, these profiles will guide them more like consultants to improve their overall effectiveness. An analyst may contribute to teams across multiple departments as well.
- Head of Digital Marketing: As the title says, a Digital Marketing Head is the senior most profile in this domain. In organizations where integrated marketing campaigns exist, Digital Marketing Head will report to Head of Marketing, who would be responsible for overall marketing function.
Skills Required for a Successful Digital Marketing Career:
- Creativity: The amount of content & conversations on digital medium, creativity plays an important role in differentiating a brand among its peers.
- Analytical Ability: Given measurability is one of the key strengths required, analytical skills are critical to be a successful digital marketer.
- Communication Skills: For most of the profiles in this domain, good communication skills especially written communication are important. In absence of good communication, one has to rely on an external resource and that’s not always feasible & is inefficient.
- Learning: Given the dynamic nature of digital media, one has to be open and should be hungry to learn newer trends & skills to move ahead of others.
- Passion for Digital Media: Digital Marketing professionals who are genuinely passionate about digital media will surely see more success coming their way in terms of results of their campaign and their career growth.
- Networking: As shared earlier, Learning is a desired attitude in any digital marketing professional. Networking skills (especially online) is an important role for any digital marketer to stay about latest trends & techniques in internet marketing.
- Comfort with Technology: While knowledge or experience of technology is not required for a digital marketer, one’s comfort with technology and associated changes is another important element for success in online marketing.
- Willingness to Experiment: Digital Marketing is an evolving field and there are no defined rules for success. One’s willingness and ability to experiment in digital marketing also plays an important role in determining the success of such campaigns.